I teach family history and genealogy to local, statewide, nationwide and international audiences. Here are some of the things I do:
- After delivering a live-streamed lecture to thousands of viewers at RootsTech 2017, I’ve become known internationally for expertise in comparing the four major genealogy websites: Ancestry.com, FamilySearch.org, Findmypast.com and MyHeritage.com. Check out my companion quick reference guide, “Genealogy Giants: Comparing the 4 Major Websites.“
- My life-story writing guide Story of My Life: A Workbook for Preserving Your Legacy is now in its 2nd edition, and available in print or as a writeable PDF (use coupon code GEMS17for an extra 10% off through 12/31/17);
- I’m a Contributing Editor for Lisa Louise Cooke’s Genealogy Gems Podcast, which has more than 2 million downloads worldwide. I help gather and produce content for the podcast, share tips on the show and write for the companion blog.
- I’m also a Contributing Editor for Family Tree Magazine, the premiere magazine for genealogy hobbyists in the U.S. I’m the Genealogy Insider columnist and a frequent contributor of how-to articles. I also contribute to Family Tree University, their online learning portal.
- As Co-Editor of Ohio Genealogy News, the quarterly magazine of the Ohio Genealogical Society, I shared the National Genealogical Society’s top award for newsletter editors in 2017.
- You can often find me speaking at community and state events across Ohio and nationwide. Click here for my speaking calendar and click here to learn more about the seminars and classes I can teach for your group.
- Winner, International Society of Family History Writers & Editors Excellence in Writing Competition: 1st place, Articles, 2012 and 3rd place, Newsletter Editing, 2013.
- Double-major undergraduate degrees in History and Humanities, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah
- Graduate coursework, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio
- Attendance and presentations at writing and genealogy conferences
- Participant, Genealogical Research Institute of Pittsburgh, 2013 and 2017.
- Participation in professional-level memoir group
- Member, International Society of Family History Writers & Editors
- Member, Ohio Genealogical Society
- I live and work in the Cleveland, Ohio area.
- I am married and have 3 children.
27694 Parkwood Dr, Euclid OH 44132