Sunny Jane Morton is an internationally-known, award-winning writer, editor and speaker for the multibillion-dollar genealogy industry. She is a Contributing Editor at Lisa Louise Cooke’s Genealogy Gems Podcast, with more than 2.5 million downloads worldwide, and a Contributing Editor at Family Tree Magazine, the U.S.’ premiere publication for genealogy hobbyists. A popular speaker at events across the country (including RootsTech), Sunny is especially known for expertise in tracing U.S. ancestors, particularly in church records; her unique comparisons of the industry’s largest websites; and inspiring presentations on how to reconstruct and tell meaningful stories from the past. Sunny is the author of Story of My Life: A Workbook for Preserving Your Legacy, Genealogy Giants: Comparing the 4 Major Websites and the forthcoming How to Find Your Family History in U.S. Church Records (working title), co-authored with Harold Henderson, CG. She is the Co-Editor of Ohio Genealogy News and winner of the prestigious NGS Newsletter Competition (2017) and writing awards from the International Society of Family History Writers and Editors. She holds degrees in history and humanities from Brigham Young University.
That’s the short version. Get to know her work a little more:
- After delivering a live-streamed lecture to thousands of viewers at RootsTech 2017, she became known internationally for expertise in comparing the four major genealogy websites: Ancestry.com, FamilySearch.org, Findmypast.com and MyHeritage.com. Check out her companion quick reference guide, “Genealogy Giants: Comparing the 4 Major Websites.“
- Her life-story writing guide, Story of My Life: A Workbook for Preserving Your Legacy, is now in its 2nd edition, and available in print or as a writeable PDF;
- Sunny is a Contributing Editor for Lisa Louise Cooke’s Genealogy Gems Podcast, one of family history’s longest-running and best known podcasts. She helps gather and produce content for the podcast, shares tips on the show and writes for the companion blog.
- As a Contributing Editor for Family Tree Magazine, Sunny keeps readers up to date on industry news; shares reader stories; and writes how-to articles and human interest features. At Family Tree University she teaches the popular annual Genealogy Writing Boot Camp and frequently contributes to their Virtual Conferences.
- As Co-Editor of Ohio Genealogy News, the quarterly magazine of the Ohio Genealogical Society, Sunny shared the National Genealogical Society’s top award for newsletter editors in 2017.
- You can often find Sunny speaking at seminars and conferences across Ohio and nationwide. She teaches most frequently in the genealogy community but also has inspiring, meaningful presentations tailored for general and older adult audiences on the value of preserving and passing along personal stories and family heritage. Click here for her speaking calendar and click here to learn more about all-day seminars and classes she can teach for your group.
- Winner, International Society of Family History Writers & Editors Excellence in Writing Competition: 1st place, Articles, 2012 and 3rd place, Newsletter Editing, 2013.
- Double-major undergraduate degrees in History and Humanities, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah
- Graduate coursework, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio
- Attendance and presentations at writing and genealogy conferences
- Participant, Genealogical Research Institute of Pittsburgh, 2013 and 2017.
- Participation in professional-level memoir group
- Member, International Society of Family History Writers & Editors
- Member, Ohio Genealogical Society
- Sunny lives and works in the Cleveland, Ohio area.
- She is married and has 3 children.
27694 Parkwood Dr, Euclid OH 44132