Sunny Jane Morton is an internationally-known, award-winning writer, editor and speaker for the multibillion-dollar genealogy industry. She is a Contributing Editor at Family Tree Magazine, where she writes how-to, human interest and industry news articles and teaches popular courses at Family Tree University She recently stepped down from a long and enjoyable presence at Lisa Louise Cooke’s Genealogy Gems Podcast. A popular speaker at events across the country (including RootsTech), Sunny is especially known for expertise in tracing U.S. ancestors; her unique comparisons of the industry’s largest websites; and inspiring presentations on how to reconstruct and tell meaningful stories from the past. Sunny is the author of Story of My Life: A Workbook for Preserving Your Legacy, Genealogy Giants: Comparing the 4 Major Websites, now in its 2nd edition, and the forthcoming How to Find Your Family History in U.S. Church Records (working title), co-authored with Harold Henderson, CG. She is the Co-Editor of Ohio Genealogy News and winner of the prestigious NGS Newsletter Competition (2017) and writing awards from the International Society of Family History Writers and Editors. She holds degrees in history and humanities from Brigham Young University.
- Winner, International Society of Family History Writers & Editors Excellence in Writing Competition: 1st place, Articles, 2012 and 3rd place, Newsletter Editing, 2013.
- Double-major undergraduate degrees in History and Humanities, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah
- Graduate coursework, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio
- Attendance and presentations at writing and genealogy conferences
- Participant, Genealogical Research Institute of Pittsburgh, 2013 and 2017
- Participation in professional-level memoir writing group
- Member, International Society of Family History Writers & Editors
- Member, Ohio Genealogical Society
- Sunny lives and works in the Cleveland, Ohio area.
- She is married and has 3 children.
Please email Sunny at email@example.com.